Sunday, December 2, 2018

Unhappy Mirrors and Clanging Cymbals

My mirror has been a bit unhappy with me lately.

I don't know about you, but I'm so incredibly glad elections in this country are over...at least for now.  As I reflect over this past month, I must admit, I'm a bit ashamed by some if not most of what I posted on one of my most beloved idols, "ye olde" social media.

Unfortunately like many of you, I allowed my emotions to get the best of me this election cycle, and I related my opinions in a less than loving way.  My men's group kicked this topic around a bit yesterday.  So, how does one go about engaging others that you feel are truly off base in a way that doesn't lead to arguing and pointless banter?

We all are very passionate about what we believe, but when our conversations become nothing more than an attempt to win a debate, we immediately give up the high ground of sharing truth in love.  Yes, it can be complicated, but what if we approached every post or comment with a strong desire to share God's love without seeking "the win", and inevitably coming off as a know-it-all jerk face?  Yeah, I'm talking to myself here, but maybe you can identify.

 The world continues to slip down into the cesspool of moral relativism, and will likely continue that trend.  Now more than ever, Believers must stand for God's heart and do all we can to live out His life in the midst of the chaos, but that witness, must begin, end, and be bathed betwixt and between with love.  For the Lord has told us, "If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.  If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.  If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing."

I don't know about you, but I don't want to be known as a "clanging cymbal".

We've been called to reach this broken world for Christ.  The question is how does that happen?  I've been at this for a while, and I've watched God rescue souls in ways that often surprised me, but never did that happen apart from His love being expressed.  Indeed, "it is His kindness that leads us to repentance".

Remember, people living in darkness always see His truth as foolishness.  We can fuss, fight, banter, and maybe even win a grand debate with our keen intellectual prowess, but only love wins the heart.

May the Lord help me to remember that, and maybe that dang mirror will get off my back for a change!

No comments: